Thursday, May 17, 2012

Change of Plans


I've decided not to backpack to Seattle. Instead, I'm gonna use a CART! 



This is the Booyah "Swivel" 3in1 Double Baby Bicycle Bike Trailer & Jogger Red
I wrote a review on amazon.com if you want more details on the cart. 

I decided to use a cart instead of a backpack for a few reasons, but mainly because my pack was just getting too heavy with all the crap I'm planning on taking with me. I tried my best to shave down as much weight as possible, but it just wasn't working. 


When I decided to take this trip I of course did some research online. I found that many long distance walkers opted for a cart instead of a pack. People using carts were able to get a lot more mileage out of their day. But at first I didn't like the idea of using a cart. I worried that it may be difficult to navigate on narrow roads, or what if I had to jump a fence? Well, as far as narrow roads, that's gonna be risky whether I've got a pack on, use a cart, or nothing at all. And actually, this is probably safer, because if I get into a situation where I need to literally jump off the road to avoid a car or whatever, it'll be a lot easier to jump w/o 50 or 60 lbs on my back. And if I need to jump a fence I can always just unload my stuff and toss it over, then either lift the cart over or disassemble it and chuck it over in pieces (it disassembles quite easily with no tools needed), then hop the fence myself and reload and continue on. And really, how often am I going to need to hop a fence? 


Using this cart will allow me to carry more essentials such as food, clothing, and especially water, as well as some "luxury" items. It'll also make it easier for me to stop and take pictures. I won't have to set down a heavy ass pack, find my camera in my bag, then have to pack it up again. I'll probably also be able to walk much further each day. One of the "walkers" I found online started a walk across America with a pack. He was doing about 15 miles a day at first. But then shortly into his walk, he switched to a cart and his mileage went WAY up immediately.

I haven't test driven the cart just yet, as it just arrived yesterday afternoon. And I probably won't get to it today because it's looking pretty crappy outside and besides, the Giants are on at 12:45! In the meantime, here's a few more pics of the cart during assembly. Enjoy!
The main body out of the box and plastic wrap.

All the components laid out.

The handlebar organizer thingy.

Instruction booklet and "tools".




















25 comments:

  1. Classic!!! I love it. and you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Hall-DavisMay 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM

    Love the photo of your with your new walker. This is a great idea....PLUS...if you get hurt, you can always sit on it and wheel your ass around. Or, when the zombies in upper Oregon find you, you can use the red material to confuse them, like a Matador.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Yeah I forgot to factor in Zombies! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Jennifer Hall-DavisMay 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

    Also, does your mom really put up 4 different wreaths at Xmas? (Damn, I gotta get me more of those.) -jhd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what she does with all this crap all over this property!

      Delete
  4. "There's Jimbo and his cart...sex shopping"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take a pump + puncture repair kit (you remember how to fix a tire don't you???).
    Bear in mind if you're planning on putting wider/knobbly tires on (think it said that in your amazon review) that there's going to be more drag and more pushing involved.
    Brakes - get a bungee cord + attach it to the frame, then hook the wheel each side with the bungee anytime you stop somewhere. Could maybe use carabiners hanging from the frame on bits of string too.
    Classic pic at the top there Jimbly. If you retook that while wearing a santa hat, you could send it out as xmas cards this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and you should replace the orange flag with a skull n crossbones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA Yeah I should get a cool flag like that! Great suggestion on the bungee cord! I think I'll do that. Not a bad idea for the Christmas card either! Cheerio, buddy!

      Delete
  7. The Purity Of EvilMay 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM

    *approves*

    ReplyDelete
  8. should have gotten it a tad bigger so you could sleep in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have to be several "tads" to fit my fat ass in there haha!

      Delete
  9. I think its a great choice and does help to look more obvious for cars and maybe they will pay more attention to you if they think there is a baby in it. :) Sounds like you are doing a great job getting ready for this and are going to have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what you need is a walker/backpack combo!! maybe you could invent that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I need is an anti-gravity device! Hey man, didn't know you had a blog. I am now "following" it and look forward to your updates!

      Delete
  11. Great addition to your treck! I'm excited for you Jim. Really do love the picture of you with your cart. Looks like you are going to have a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jim,
    This is awesome. Thanks for the review. Once you are back we can send you a new screw and cap to hold the front wheel on. Or if you know where you will be in the next week we can ship one out to you. If you are still stationary with your foot, let us know the address and we can get that out to you. By the way, there is a parking break. Press the break and push the little button down. It will lock the break tight and keep it from rolling. Appreciate all that you are doing. Will keep up with your blog. Your photos are awesome. Thanks for giving our stroller a run for its money. Good luck on your journey.
    Give us an address if you can so we can take care of you.

    Edward
    Booyah Strollers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edward, that's great! Thank you so much. I'm done with my trip and back home, actually. I will send another email to your company website with my address. I also gave a positive review on Amazon.com, and will send a link to that. Thank you for checking it out and for offering to replace the screw!

      Delete