Friday, March 23, 2012

Big Update and HALP!!!

Howdy everyone! It's been more than a month since my last update and there's a lot to cover so let's jump right in.


I've been doing volunteer work at the local food bank for about the last month or so. Only doing 4 or 5 hours a week, but it adds to my exercise and beats the hell outta sitting around the house. I can't find work for shit so this gives me something to do. I'm hoping to bring you a post one of these days of what I do over there.



Training for my backpacking trip has been going well. Been doing 3 miles a day most days, and every other day or so I do 6 to 8 miles. It may not seem like much to some folks, but when you compare it to my previous exercise regiment of zero miles+potato chips+tv/video games, it's a HUGE improvement. The more I do the easier it gets. I think it's paying off quite nicely. Also, I pretty much have most of my gear for the trip now, so sometime next week I'll finally be able to start training with my pack! Would love to share a picture of all my gear but I'm too lazy right now to set it all up. I'll make another post next week and show you what I have.
                                        


Along this route I will need as much help as I can get! Mostly with finding and meeting people that can host me for a night. Take a look at the interactive map, and if you, or someone you know, lives along this route and can help me save a few bucks at a camp site, let me use a shower, help me slackpack, or even just offer advice on neighborhoods/small towns/better routes etc etc it would be IMMENSELY helpful and greatly appreciated! By no means is this map the final word. I'm sure I'll deviate from the course if the need or desire arises. 


As I mentioned earlier I pretty much have most of my gear. I can't thank my parents enough for helping me out with what they have so far, and for a few more things that they will be helping with in the coming weeks. However, there are a few items I still need, and if I can relieve some of the burden off my folks I'm sure they would greatly appreciate it. So I made a gift registry (God, that sounds so fucking gay) at REI. I've become somewhat of a fanboy recently. It's where I've gotten all my gear so far.
Jim's Gift Registry @ REI  
Registry number: GR2555560


I will also gladly accept REI gift cards as well for some smaller, miscellaneous items I didn't put on the registry. Also keep in mind that if you already have something similar to what's on the list that you'll let me have or borrow I'm prefectly good and equally appreciative of that as well! If you get something off of the registry, it will automatically be removed from the list. However, if you do indeed have something on the list that you are going to give to me, please let me know right away. I know how much fun it is to surprise someone with a gift, but I'll need to know ASAP so I can remove that item from the registry in order to prevent someone else paying their hard earned money on something I end up not needing because you were an asshole and didn't tell me you already got it for me.


A few other things I could use your help with:
Wal-Mart gift cards. I can use those to get food before and during my trip. I would prefer Wal-Mart ones instead of grocery store ones because there may not be a particular chain of grocery stores where I'm at, but you can bet your ass there's a Wal-Mart in every God forsaken town in this country! 


These next two items are long shot, but what the hell:
I have a laptop I can bring with me, but it's rather big and heavy. My folks are looking into options for netbooks and tablets. Problem with netbooks is that they're very difficult to find because no one is manufacturing them anymore. Problem with tablets is that they're pretty damn expensive. SO!.... if any y'alls have a netbook with some storage capacity (for my photos and vids I'll be taking during my journey), or a tablet, or a 13 inch-ish laptop that you can let me borrow, or give to me, or sell to me on the cheap, PLEASE let me know! And the reason I am taking this item with me is so that I can blog about my journey while I'm ON my journey!


Video Camera: My small point 'n shoot takes video, but it looks like crap and the microphone is shot. My new phone takes 720p video which is great, but it's not necessarily the greatest quality and is a bit awkward to use. SO!.... again, if anyone has a small hi-def mini video camera thingy they can let me borrow that would be AWESOME!!! I'm not trying to film Transformers 4 or anything like that during my trip, I just want to be able to make daily video updates that are of decent sound/picture quality. Plus, you never know what I'll run into out there, and I'd hate to miss filming something exciting that might happen.


And just to clarify, do not feel bad if you can't get me something or don't have anything I can borrow. Look, I know everything is real rough for everyone right now. I hate to even ask for the help, but I'm just throwing it out there because you never know. Please do not go out of your way or fuck yourself up or whatever to help me out. If you can help, AWESOME! If not, that's totally cool and my feelings aren't hurt in the slightest. Moral support is ALWAYS welcomed! 


Last but not least, and I'm sure most of you will be thrilled with this... As much as I loathe Facebook, I went ahead anyway and decided to create a Facebook Page for my trip. I just figured it would be easier for people to follow me and find me on there, and that in turn increases my chance of getting more help while I'm on the road. PLEASE please please like and share my page. It really helps! 
I also made a G+ Page specifically for my blog if any of you want to follow me there. On the blog itself, I added links in the sidebar on the right hand side to my new FB Page, the G+ Page, my Youtube Channel, and a new email that you can message me at.


Sorry for the long and boring, mostly picture-less update. Haven't really had anything worth taking pictures of with the camera Paul and Laurel gave me because the weather has been pretty crappy around here lately. Thanks everyone for reading, and again, PLEASE like and share my Facebook and G+ pages! Take care everyone! 

11 comments:

  1. YAY!! This all looks awesome. I'll definitely head on over to your registry there, and see what I can contribute to the cause. At the moment, the list looks a bit short, but I'll be checking it out in further detail.

    You're doing well, kiddo!! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks POE! Yeah there's not much on there, and there probably won't be anything else added to it for a while, if at all. There is something else you can help me with if you want, but I'll send you an email for that. Thanks again! Oh and hey, I hope you're recovery is going well!

      Delete
  2. What are you going to do when you get there? Eli is there. Road Trip Back? Or are you staying for good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hopefully Eli is reading this somehow. One way or another I will get a hold of him so I can see him when I'm up there. When I do get there I'll hang out for however long I feel like. A few days, maybe a couple weeks. Who knows. Not really sure how I'll get back. Probably take the train down unless there's someone up there planning on a road trip to CA or NV. And who knows, I may end up staying there for a while, or maybe hiking onward to a new destination!

      Delete
  3. With you being at 4,500 feet, more than half of that trip is going to be downhill.
    You should take a skateboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you Jim!!! Where do I send donations?? I can throw a Walmart gift card your way. It may not be a big donation but I'm so happy you are doing this that I'd love to show my support. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janel_is_rad! Send me an email to messagejimsblog@gmail.com and from there I'll give you an address. Your support is SO appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Wow, Im so envious of you! Im looking at you differently Jimbo...gawd, your suddenly sexy as all hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks! You're making me blush. Thank you Agent A! Actually, I've always been sexy, I've just been keeping it a secret from everyone :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like all your planning is coming together. I'm excited for you. xo

    ReplyDelete