Monday, July 16, 2012

Days 29 thru 33

So far in oregon I haven't been doing a very good job at taking photos. There's been lots of nice scenery, but I'm kinda bored with scenery for the moment. Hopefully that'll remedy itself. I also need to make sure to take more pictures of the people I meet. Speaking of which, I met a fellow this morning that's biking from San Francisco to Alaska! http://dmandave.blogspot.com.


Some pics, and a couple vids near the end. Enjoy!






Sunset at Water Wheel RV Park in Chiloquin, OR. There was a fire going on somewhere which caused a really cool haze during the sunset








This giant Dinosaur Cow protected me through a creepy night in the forest along Highway 97. The folks that own Hub City were really super cool letting me set up camp for the night on their property. I heard all sorts of creepy sounds all night coming from the forest across the street. Apparently this place use to be some sort of theme park called Thunder Beast Park, where there were all these dinosaur things. Thank you so much Steve and Copper!






One of the coolest dudes I've met so far on my trip, Dave. Here he is holding a sign asking for money, and he gives me a Pepsi and tells me he's lucky! I gave him what little change I had with me, probably fifty or sixty cents. He's traveled all the lower 48 states at least twice in this thing, and even into Mexico and on down to Brazil! Safe travels Dave! 

Welcome to Chemult, Oregon





18 comments:

  1. Haha, "winged creature" - looks like you found yourself a friend there Jim.

    Honkers - you're going through a bunch of small towns. I bet word is getting around that you're passing through (especially if there's only one local store or bar in the area), and the honkers are just locals showing their support.
    Or they may be trying to warn you - beware, zombies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shit, between the vicious chipmunks and the zombies I better find a shotgun, quick!

      Delete
  2. shit jimbo!!!!! makin progress!!!! so proud of you!!!! please post more!!!! keep on truckin i.e: walkin !!!!!!!!! chad jayson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah man....trixie will be jelious for sure of your new girl friend madam butterfly! Glad you are meeting cool people along the way and yes stay outta the forests!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying my best to not stay in the forests. Thanks Angie!

      Delete
  4. don't fear the forest, man. seriously.
    just pitch the tent out of sight of the logging road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell em you're on the way to visit your friend in Alsea, and eat some of last season's elk.

      Delete
    2. haha will do! Thanks Anji!

      Delete
  5. Enjoying your stories of the people you have met in Oregon! It's amazing to me how many miles you are getting in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. QW has been keeping us posted on that site and I'm glad to read you are doing well and well along with your journey. -DW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jim- Dave here, decided to press onwards from Chemult and made it up to Crescent Lake for the night, then it was on up over Bachelor to Bend. I totally understand your frustrations and tribulations with the drivers out there, and it's tough not being able to do much about it. But in the end I think we get infinitely more out of our journey's by being in the thick of it than they ever do sitting in their AC'd glass bubbles (ever read Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire? Great bit in there about this very thing). Overall though the northwest seems to be full of friendly and accommodating people, so we're fortunate for that!
    Keep on truckin'
    - Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Dave! Good for you for pressing on. I've done that quite a few times since being in Oregon and it's always more beneficial than giving up for the day. Thanks for checking in, good luck on your travels sir!

      Delete
  8. Jennifer Hall-DavisJuly 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM

    Very interesting observations of others' reactions to what you are doing. My sole thought upon reading this is: "Jim's done enough driving for one lifetime. Fuck them." Carry on, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah don't I know it! I guess the moral of the story here, is if ya see a dude walking down the freeway don't assume he's not happy. He's probably doing something badass!

      Delete